- Prize INR 40000 (USD 595 approx.). There is no entry fee.
- The prize is sponsored by NHP Centre.
- The name and bio of the writer should not appear anywhere in the short story except in the prescribed fields as the reading by the pre-jury and jury will be anonymous.
- Anyone who is above 16 years of age on the date and time of the opening of the contest from any part of the world is eligible. Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Contest opens 12 PM (IST), 24 Aug 16 and the last date of submission is 12 PM (IST), 24 Sep 16.
- Word limit 1500 – 4000 including the title. Simultaneous entries are acceptable but please inform us if your entry is selected elsewhere.
- A Shortlist of ten stories will be selected by a pre-jury (details of the pre-jury below) and published in a special issue of Open Road Review literary magazine. There is no cash prize for shortlisted stories.
- Rights revert to the author upon publication though Open Road Review & NHP Centre reserve their right to publish these stories in future anthologies, online or offline. If the quality of writing is not appropriate, a lesser number of stories may be shortlisted.
- The jury (details below) will decide one of the shortlisted stories as the winner of the OPEN ROAD REVIEW SHORT STORY COMPETITION 2016—IN PARTNERSHIP WITH NHP CENTRE.
- The above is only a snapshot of the guidelines and rules. Entrants are required to go through the detailed guidelines below before submitting.
1. (i) These Guidelines may be called Open Road Review Short Story Prize 2016 Guidelines and shall include the clarifications and modifications issued by the Steering Committee from time to time.
(ii) The Guidelines may be modified by the Steering Committee at any stage prior to the Closing Date, without any prior notification or announcement. It is the sole responsibility of the Entrant to regularly review the Guidelines on the Website.
(iii) The Guidelines, including any modification, amendment or clarification thereof is the sole prerogative of the Steering Committee, and in the event of any disagreement with any of the Guidelines and any amendment, modification or clarification thereof, Entrant may choose not to participate or withdraw from the Contest.
2. (i) In the Guidelines, the following words and phrases shall have the meaning ascribed after them hereunder:
(a) Entrant: Entrant means and includes a person participating in the Contest by submitting a short story pursuant to the Contest.
(b) Entry: Entry means and includes a short story, imaginary or based on true incident or event, submitted by an Entrant for participation in the Contest in accordance with the Guidelines.
(c) Contest: Contest means Open Road Review Short Story Contest 2016.
(d) Website: Website means Contest Website, which is www.openroadreview.com
(ii) In the event of doubt about the meaning of any word or expression appearing in the Guidelines, the clarification provided by the Steering Committee shall be final.
3. (i) The Contest will be supervised by a Steering Committee comprising of the following:
(a) Sumant Batra, Founder, NHP Centre and Kumaon Literary Festival
(b) Kulpreet Yadav, Founder and Editor, Open Road Review.
(iii) All key decisions relating to the Contest will be taken by the Steering Committee.
Contest Opening Date
4. The Contest shall open at 12 pm (IST) on 24th August 2016.
Contest Closing Date
5. (i) The Contest shall close on 12 Noon (IST) on 24th Sep 2016.
(ii) No Entry shall be accepted after the Contest Closing Date.
Eligibility & Submission
6. Following is the eligibility criteria for participation in the Contest:
(i) Entrant could be of any nationality or resident in any part of the world.
(ii) Entrant must be 16 years or above on the date of submission of Entry.
7. Entry must be original work of the Entrant and should not have been published work or produced anywhere in full or in part. Published work is taken to mean published in any printed, publicly accessible form, e.g. anthology, magazine, newspaper, personal blog, personal website, social networking site.
8. Entry must not have previously been broadcast or won a prize.
9. Entry must be submitted directly by the author of the short story.
10. Entry should be in English, and that includes translation in English from any other language by a translator.
11. Entry must be submitted online in the form and manner provided on the Website. Postal submissions through any medium will not be accepted.
12. Only one Entry per Entrant is admissible for submission.
13. Entries must have a minimum of 1500 words and a maximum of 4000 words, which includes the title. Entry, which does not follow the prescribed word limit, will be disqualified. Entries should not contain any pictures or other material.
14. The Entrant shall not write his/her name or make any sign and/or mark of identification in the Entry. Any such attempt or action will lead to disqualification of Entry.
15. The first page should include the title of the story and the number of words.
16. Entry will not be returned so the Entrant may keep a copy.
17. No corrections or alterations can be made after Entry has been submitted.
18. Entrant’s name and contact details should not appear anywhere in the document. Entrant's details should be included only in the entry form.
19. A third person bio of fewer than 100 words is also required in a separate field.
20. Worldwide copyright of story will remain with the Entrant. Open Road Review and NHP Centre will have the unrestricted right to publish the selected stories (including the winning story) in a book of short stories and on any other platform.
21. The results of the competition will be announced on the Contest Website. The winner will be notified by email on the address provided in the submission form. Unsuccessful Entrant will not be notified.
22. The decision of Steering Committee on questions of eligibility and submission is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
23. Any attempt to contact a member of Jury/Pre Jury or influence any employee, consultant or member of the Steering Committee will attract disqualification.
24. The Steering Committee retains absolute right to disqualify any Entry at any stage if it is satisfied that the Entry is not the original work of the Entrant.
25. Jury and Pre-Jury members, individual members of Steering Committee, office bearers and the staff members of NHP Centre and Open Road Review are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
26. The Contest is null and void in any jurisdiction where it is prohibited by law.
27. No purchase or payment of any consideration is necessary to enter the contest.
28. No questions, clarifications or correspondence will be entered with any Entrant at any stage except as otherwise provided in the Guidelines.
Evaluation & Selection Crieria
Pre – Jury
29. A Pre-Jury, comprising such number and persons as the Steering Committee may decide and nominate shall evaluate and shortlist short stories from the Entries received for evaluation and selection of by the Jury for the Award.
30. A Jury comprising such number and persons as the Steering Committee may decide and nominate shall evaluate the shortlisted Entries and select one (1) Entry for the Award.
31. The Jury may recommend to the Steering Committee, a story for being presented the Prize and up to ten number of stories for publishing in Special Edition of Open Road Review.
32. The decision of the Pre-Jury and Jury shall be final and binding and no queries, challenge or communication in respect thereto will be entertained. In the event of a split vote, the chair of the jury shall have the casting vote.
33. (i) Prize includes a certificate and cash prize of INR 40,000.
(ii) Prize shall be presented to the winner by cheque/demand draft or transfer in bank account of the winner in INR or its equivalent in any other currency payable in accordance with the laws governing the Republic of India on necessary compliances.
(iii) Prize is sponsored by NHP Centre.
(iv) Winner can not request substitution of cash prize with any other thing.
(v) All winners are solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees as well as all additional costs that may be incurred.
(vi) NHP Centre or its officers, directors, employees, agents, successors or assigns shall be liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury or any other claims incurred as a result of any winner’s use of a prize.
Publishing of Short Stories
34. (i) The stories shortlisted by Pre-Jury and Jury may be published in a Special Edition of Open Road Review.
(iii) Entry, selected and others, may be published on any website or other digital media platform by NHP Centre.
(iii) The decision of Steering Committee in matter of selection of short stories for publishing will be final and binding.
Termination of Contest
35. (i) The Steering Committee reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to terminate the Contest at any time without prior notice.
(ii) Neither the Steering Committee nor, Open Road Review or NHP Centre or its officers, directors, employees, agents, successors or assigns shall be liable for any warranty, costs, damage, injury or any other claims incurred as a result of termination of the Contest.
Acceptance and Undertaking
36. By entering the Contest:
(i) The Entrant explicitly undertakes to accept the Guidelines and be bound by them and modification, clarification or modification thereof.
(ii) Submitting Entry expressly amounts to grant of an exclusive unconditional license by the Entrant to Open Road Review and NHP Centre to publish the Entry in any other media (electronic, print or any other media). The contribution of Entrant will be duly recognised.
37. The Laws of Republic of India will apply.
38. Courts in Delhi only will have jurisdiction.
Declaration before filling form[/ultimate_modal]